Redstart on the Road
We are living and birding in strange times. As bird watchers who revel in birding both close to home and far afield, our pandemic confines have restricted us from many of the birding experiences and opportunities we’ve grown accustomed to over the years.
At Redstart Birding, we are forging a path through this uncharted territory by creating a new way to connect birders with the very best in birding optics. Rather than expecting our fellow birders to gather in large groups at birding events and festivals to shop for optics, we’re bringing the optics to them—to YOU—in a safe but friendly way.
Introducing REDSTART ON THE ROAD: A new, COVID-safe series of small, appointment-based optics events that will allow birders to safely try and test the latest and greatest in birding optics! And, at most ROTR events, birders can also enjoy professionally guided, socially distanced, COVID-safe bird walks as they test new binoculars and scopes firsthand.
Our mission: To provide a hands-on, try-before-you-buy experience of quality birding optics to birders throughout the U.S. through a COVID-safe, mobile version of our online retail store, Redstart Birding (redstartbirding.com).
Some benefits of attending a ROTR event include:
- Try optics before you buy them, and compare a variety of brands and models in the field
- 5% discount on all optics and gear
- 5% of sales will be donated to a local bird club or conservation organization
- Products purchased will be shipped to your home
- Safe, sanitary, crowd-free setup
- Personal appointment with an optics consultant
- Close-to-home and convenient shopping opportunity
Here’s how it works:
- Interested birders must schedule a personal, private shopping appointment with our optics specialist to avoid crowds. No more than two people will be scheduled at a time; groups of two are welcome.
- All products and hands will be sanitized before and after each use.
- Most sales event sites will be in outdoor locations and will be roped off with signage for additional safety.
- Masks will be mandatory at both indoor and outdoor events.
- Bird walks will be small, socially distanced, and professionally guided, and will follow all park, city, county, and state COVID safety protocols.
- All products will be discounted 5% at ROTR events, and an additional 5% of all sales will be donated to a local organization (bird club or conservation organization) in the event area.
- Most products purchased at a ROTR event will be shipped directly to the customer’s home. However, some birding gear will be available for same-day, take-home purchase.
We are planning 15 Redstart on the Road events in 2021, and we hope to be in a community near you! With ever-changing travel restrictions, it’s difficult to plan too far ahead of time, so please check this page frequently for updates.
WE CAN ALSO HOST EVENTS FOR YOUR GROUP! Please contact us if you’d like to schedule a private ROTR event for your birding community.
Fall Event Dates
Red River National Wildlife Refuge, Bossier City, LA—October 8-9, 2021
Friday October 8th
6:30 pm - Evening Birding Presentation at the Refuge by BWD Editor Dawn Hewitt and BWD President and Publisher Wendy Clark, followed by Q&A. No appointments necessary.
Saturday October 9th
- Optics appointments every half hour from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm. 2 appointments per half-hour. Schedule your appointment »
- Bird Walks led by refuge staff and volunteers at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 am, and 3:00 pm. Reserve your spot »